Friday, July 29, 2022

If I can dream


 
Who you are!
Who you think you are! and
Who you would like to be!

Sometimes I think I was born too early and then again the future does not look so promising except maybe for a few medical advances but what would be the point of living a long life then?

At other times I think I may have been born too early.

I missed by a smidgeon a totally different system of education which I may or probably would not have enjoyed but could fantasize on or dream of.  (never finish a sentence with a preposition) 

When I was in primary school just before they opened the very first new "polyvalente" school my options for the future were thus:

1. Classical 

for the great brains who wanted to study humanities and languages and all the great classics, who wanted to read all Cicero or Plato  in their original languages: Latin and Greek respectively.

For the "bolés" as we called them in Quebec back then.

2. Scientific

for the other kind of "bolés" who liked maths more than english or french and liked to study maths, physics, chemistry etc

3. General

for the hoi polloi the riff raff and the rest of them that didn't quit after high school or go to a trade school


Classical studies has always been a dream of mine but then again it was never to happen for many reason a) they quit that system the very year I entered high school and b) I wasn't cut out for it having been ruined much earlier. 

There was a kind teacher in year 7,
Mr St-Onge (my mother's maiden name strangely enough) who tried to rescue me but he came a little too late.
The damage that the other St-Onge had done was irremediable.

Anyway 

I could of ;) done my own education and read all the great books but history says I didn't. 

Chose the Drugs and Rock and Roll road instead and look where that led me now :P

Speaking of that Mr. St-Onge I bawl my eyes
out every time I hear this song from
 Alexandre Poulin: L'écrivain.

I am always reminded of this story of this French Canadian girl who was trying to use this expression once I bawled my eyes out and said instead:

I cried my balls out! LOL

Over and Out







 

1 comment: