Monday, March 4, 2019

Space Time Continuum

Tom Waits

‘Festival International de Jazz de Montréal’
Expo-Théâtre, Montréal
July 3, 1981

Wish I had a Time Machine now



Where Was I?

In Manitoba for sure, 
the summer before Phoebe was born 
(16-01-1982)
I would not be in Montreal til mid 1983 where Priscilla was born at Santa Cabrini (04-09-1983)

In dreadful bootcamp Ste-Elizabeth for sure working my ass off at Superior Bus Mfg
prolly still a welder by then???


in the strange 4 years I was there I went from Welder to Painter to Punch Press Operator. 

( My very first job in 1972? (16 years old) was punch press operator  after the gruesome 6 months of 70 hours a week for $20 working for my dad as a carpet layer assistant.
I was making $1.65 an hour at the metal shop 


$66 a week
$55? after taxes
and then my mum started charging me room and board at $15 a week
so I had a whole $40 to spend:
double the money for half the time.  


My first Xmas party they had to walk me home very early LOL (home was like 3 doors down)
I might or might not have abused that Gordon's Dry Gin a little.


I always think of Manitoba as 5 years of Siberian gulag 
but it was more like 4 years I think 

considering Gerry was born on the way there
 (01-05-79)
and Priscilla was definitely born in Montreal in Sept 1983.


For a long time I could never remember what years my daughters were born me and my space cadet mind and Sue gave me the best mnemonic ever
My 2nd child was born in 82
and my 3rd child in 83


Anyway I lost most of the 80s somehow.

I often joke that I was in JAIL in the 80s lol

unlike my uncle who was REALLY in jail but said he was in college until I was 12 years old when he resurfaced.


just a short "early morning" reminiscing
between coffee and brekkie
at nearly noon
38 years later


Two "landmarks" are still around. 
One is gone.  
Some people tattoo their kids's birthdays on them.

Track list:
1. The One That Got Away2. Annie’s Back in Town / I Wish I Was in New Orleans3. $29.004. Pasties and a G-String5. Empty Pockets6. Broken Bicycles7. The Tango8. Invitation to the Blues / Eggs and Sausage9. On the Nickel10. Mr. Siegal11. Tom Traubert’s Blues

Listening to it now most of my fav songs are there

No comments:

Post a Comment