Monday, October 31, 2022

1988



I was wondering why the album Hysteria brought back such sweet memories to me.

10th of June 1988 (my 10th wedding anniversary) 

I "LIBERATED" myself from the grip of the cult I had been in since oct 12, 1976.

Threw my things in one bag in the back of the company pickup truck, left to a hotel with my last paycheck and muster the courage to go back to my house 2 days later.

The house was totally empty,
They left me one couch to sleep on,
one fork, one knife, one spoon.

Gave my 2weeks notice at work (in Toronto) and rented a tv to save my sanity in this long 2 weeks in this lonely house.
I didn't know where my kids were or my wife or anybody. I was completely OSTRACISED as it was the norm in any cult.

So went back to Montreal, pleaded my case with unemployment insurance and got spared from the 6 weeks penalty for quitting your job.
Got my cheques coming in two weeks and tried to recover from the stunning trauma.

Bought myself a sofa bed a tv and settle in the hottest apartment ever.  Went to bed at daybreak when exhausted. Went shopping at the depanneur across the street late in the afternoon early in the evening rarely saw the light of day.

Didn't see my kids for 9 months in fact first time I saw them was on TV.

After a few months of that again in order to save my sanity I went to work for my old boss, the locksmith I had left in a hurry 1o years back when we fled to Manitoba via Tennessee.

Not for the money as I was not making much more than on UI but just to get back to some sort of normal life.

But I can say that MTV or Musique Plus as we called it has saved my life, It was the days when Pour Some Sugar on Me won every video battle every week and I spent hours and hours watching Evening at the Improv Comedy on A & E.

So here is that bit of memory log all coming back to me now.

Them were the days.

1 comment: