Sunday, May 2, 2021

Band Synergies


I have been listening to a lot of Supertramp lately, one of the best band ever IMHO.

I fell on the writing credits of the band and I thought it was amusing.

For one thing many bands seem to be a 2 males leading out of 4 or 5.

Some seem to have a bad cop / good cop mix to them.


Beatles

Good cop: McCartney

Bad cop: Lennon ... father issues mother issues


Pink Floyd

Good cop: Gilmour

Bad cop: Waters same again father and mother issues


Supertramp

Good cop: Hodgson

Bad cop: Davies?
Well I could be wrong but it seems to me that he married a control freak and Hodgson might have had issues about that or he simply needed to leave the fast life as he said

While I am on the Supertramp subject the writing credits are somewhat ANAL for lack of an another word, almost tense.

Most albums have an EXACT division of writing taking turns

here is an example

No. Title     Lead vocals     Length

1. "School"     Hodgson 5:35

2. "Bloody Well Right" Davies 4:32

3. "Hide in Your Shell" Hodgson 6:49

4. "Asylum" Davies 6:45

Side two

No. Title         Lead vocals Length

5. "Dreamer"         Hodgson 3:31

6. "Rudy"         Davies 7:17

7. "If Everyone Was Listening" Hodgson 4:04

8. "Crime of the Century" Davies 5:36


Anymore anal than that and they would have divided the time straight in two to a second close


Same thing with Breakfast in America: 10 songs - 5 songs each


Even in the Quietest Moment has a little edge for Hodgson leading the score 4 to 3 but still presented alternately.

There you go Rolling Stones magazine can sign me in now as a rock critique on their writing staff 

Personally I am a Mc Cartney / Gilmour / Hodgson fan for some odd reason??? 

Not a fan of bad cops I s'pose.




No comments:

Post a Comment